So we’ve been back for about a month now. I have so many thoughts about Manila already that if I were to post them on Facebook I think I’d be kicked off. So here are some thoughts:
- I always said Manila had to be the most densely populated city in the world. Turns out I’m right. With 111,002 people per square mile Mania comes in first place for the most densely populated city in the world! Walla Walla – you have 2,477 people per square mile… geez. Gross.
- The people here LOVE my kids. I’ve had so many people talk to the kids, play with the kids and ask about my kids. It’s just amazing. I can stand in the check outline at the store for 20 mins while some random employee runs around and plays with both kids. I’m not sure how I forgot about this, but it really is overwhelming.
- The electrical/phone wires really are horrible. My body is tensing up thinking about that mess of a rats nest across the street. Not sure I’ll sleep tonight.
- Drake’s latest words are “bus” and “choo choo” – Manila has a TON of busses, and I get hear about them the whole drive. We also drive right along EDSA most of our drives which has the above ground metro train. So, that is the highlight of each day for him.
- Mani/Pedi/90 min FootSpa date with daughter – priceless? Nope, just $20
- How does a city manage to sustain the highest end boutiques while just across the street they have a shanty town? Where do all the tax dollars go? How on earth are there so many homeless and poor people?
- Traffic really is terrible. It took us an hour and ten mins to drive 5 miles last week. Our car is getting 8 miles to the gallon, we are paying about $400 a month for gas. We go through break pads within 3 months. This is not normal.
- AmeriKids really is a wonderful preschool. We are so happy to have this available to us. The teachers are incredible, we are so thankful for the school.
These are just a few of my quick thoughts as we re-enter this life. We have just over 9 months left. Bidding season is upon us, more on that later.